Sunday 8 February 2009

Sleeping to Warsaw









So onward from Cologne, and my first experience of European sleeper trains. First things first, time to practice my newly learnt ‘ipod’ polish on my cabin mate, a rather large polish woman. After a few strange looks, she gathered what I was trying to say, and then proceeded to laugh at everything I said from then onwards. Not the biggest confidence builder I must say. After a rather stuffy nights sleep we were pulling into Warsaw central to meet my Australian friends cousins, my hosts for the next few days in Poland.

Hanging out with the ‘It’ girls of Warsaw, wasn’t quite what I had mind for this trip, but embracing new experiences is something that I have learnt well over the years. So that’s how it went down.

My good friend from Australia sorted out this leg, his cousins met me off the train and since then I have been whisked around the city, shown the sites and walked the busy streets. The girls love the city and it showed in how much they wanted me to see. I have to admit though, I had no idea what to expect from Warsaw, in fact I knew very little of the place except it was flattened in the war, but I was pleaseantlysuprised, and one thing is for sure, they like to party!

After getting to know some good new friends, it’s back to the journey at hand… an overnight sleeper train to Moscow. Russia awaits.



Onward, towards Hong Kong.

No comments: